Sports are an important part of life at Southend High School for Girls. Some of our more notable achievements include:
- Being selected for the World Schools’ Athletics Championships on 3 occasions: 2009 in Tallinn Estonia (3rd – highest ever placing of an English School @ this competition), 2013 – Prague – 5th and Wuhan China in 2015 – 8th.
- SHSG junior athletes have won the National Junior title 12 times which is the most any school team in the country has ever won the title.
- We hold 12 junior girls national athletics titles; 4 intermediate girls national athletics titles; 2 junior girls national cross country titles and 3 intermediate girls national cross country titles (in total 21 titles)
- We have won the borough athletics championships for 32 consecutive years
- We have won the borough cross country championships for the same number of years
- We are ranked the 14th best state school at Physical Education by the Schools’ Sport Magazine.
- We are County cross country champions in year 7 and 8 (2014)
- We are the current year 7 County netball champions
- We hold the fastest time in Europe for World Marathon relay challenge
You would think that such success would go to our head but we celebrate participation in sport just as much as we celebrate achievement. That is why this will see our first sports celebration evening in July where will celebrate those students who have excelled in their chosen sport(s) along side those that have should commitment and effort in their participation in sport.